Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Start of Phase 2: Consolidation

Today we went to visit the clinic after having a full week off of steroids and other chemo drugs. Molly is still taking septra twice a week to prevent a certain kind of pneumonia (yeah! Spelled THAT right the 1st time!), but other than that we have been drug free! Molly's mood and personality has done a complete 180 degree turn-around. It took about 3 days, but she is now the cheerful, playful, excitable toddler she used to be. I really couldn't remember her being so happy before... I had to go back and watch videos I took of her to see how she was before the cancer started this dance with her.

Finally some smiles!
It really is a dance... she isn't fighting cancer, she's dancing with it. And when it's too tired to dance anymore, it will go away and she won't dance with it again. I hear stories of children having relapses and even giving in to the cancer after relapsing. I don't know anything about how their lives were being lived out during that time, because they don't post on their blogs what they were eating or how much exercise they were getting. But I am determined to help Molly's immune system grow as strong as it can to keep the cancer too tired to dance. I will certainly NOT let it enter our lives again because of poor diet and inactivity. This means we won't be eating much sugar, refined grains, red meat, and dairy. I am sure I am leaving a lot of stuff out of that small "do not eat EVER" list, but I don't want to spend too much time on that right now. "EVER?" you say? Well, alright we'll eat them sparingly. But they are no longer going to be a staple in our diet.We just can't strengthen the cancer with those foods anymore.

At the clinic today the nurse accessed Molly's port with the needle and tried to draw blood for labs. The port line under her skin must have been clogged because she just could not get any blood! She pushed and pulled lots of saline through the port hoping to dislodge any small clots, but it didn't work and we ended up giving up on labs for the time being and got sent down to the RTU for Molly's lumbar puncture. We finished that, and returned to the clinic to get our chemo schedule for the next phase, and to try to get a blood draw again. They administered just enough tPA (tissue plasminogen activator) to dissolve any clots in the port line, and then tried to draw blood again. It worked!

Molly had her blood drawn for labs on Christmas eve, and the results from that were all where we wanted them to be. Everything is working so far, Molly is still low-risk, and we are moving on to the Consolidation phase. Here is the treatment for this phase:

  • Second phase: Consolidation. The goal of consolidation therapy is to reduce the number of disease cells left in the body. The drugs and doses used during consolidation therapy depend on the patient's risk factors. 4 weeks long.
    • 1x/day chemo drug by mouth (mercaptopurine or PURINETHOL) (Side effects: low blood counts, possible liver damage)
    • 1x/phase chemo drug through the port implant (vincristine or ONCOVIN) (Side effects: hair loss)
    • 3x/phase on days 1, 8, and 15 lumbar puncture and chemotherapy administration (methotrexate or (TREXALL) (Side effects: low blood counts, nausea, mouth sores, poor appetite)

We had a fantastic Christmas and Molly and Big Sis got way too many presents, but they deserve them anyways. I am so happy that Molly had enough time to detox from the steroids before Christmas day. Big Sis has been saying that she misses playing with Molly, and I am incredibly overjoyed that they could play together with all their new toys all day! I also enjoyed myself some new Doctor Who episodes (yay!). Daddy was scheduled to work at the theater all night though (boo!). I think that Daddy working so often at nights makes the time we have together mean that much more to us, and we use it more wisely.

Molly and Big Sis opening presents on Christmas 2012!


P.S.

Please comment if you have anything to say or if you have any additional questions about the post above you would like answered.


4 comments:

  1. I love reading this. That is all I have to say. Love you guys. :) -McKenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leisel-
    This may seem totally weird and random. Today I was going through my contacts and saw your name from years ago when I was your YW leader. I remember that I really admired you, thought you were a fantastic person and loved how you wanted to learn and grow.
    I decided to look you up on facebook and see how you were doing. From there I saw your sweet Molly and her trial with ALL. And I came to your blog to read more.
    When I read this post and read how you're trying to help Molly as much as possible with proper nutrition, it reminded me of a cookbook that my mom was telling me about. She heard about it on the Today Show (http://www.today.com/id/51082455/ns/today-good_news/t/mom-teaches-parents-how-cook-kids-cancer/#.UUhoXRysh8E). Here's a link to the book on amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Happily-Hungry-Smart-Recipes-Cancer/dp/0985183403).
    Maybe you already have the recipes and resources that you need, but I thought I would pass it along to you as another resource in your Mama Toolbox.
    From what I'm reading, you sound like an incredible mother. This has to be such a hard trial and you are doing such wonderful things for your daughters. I admire you. Thank you for your example.
    -Cortney Frandsen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cortney, you were my favorite YW leader... and you always pop back into my life at the most interesting times! :)

      Thank you for those links. I will check them out. I'm always on the hunt for more resources.

      Delete
    2. It's weird how we think of someone, follow that thought and... well, I'm so glad that I found you again.
      As I said- I really admire you.
      I will be following your journey with Molly and ALL. I hope the very best for your sweet little girl.

      Delete

To protect us from spam, I am moderating comments. Please use your name so I know you are real, and please comment! Don't let the possibility that it may take a couple days before your comment is visible deter you from commenting.